Pages

Thursday, July 16, 2009

What the future holds

I am a geek. That's right, you heard me. I am a total geek, and even a bit of a nerd. Ever since I was a kid, I have always been fascinated with all things space and science fiction. I grew up watching a bit of the old Star Trek, the newer creations of that show, Star Wars, Red Dwarf, Doctor Who, and many others. In elementary school, I was part of a young astronomers and astronauts after school group. I was convinced that I was going to go on to NASA and wear one of those stylin' white space suites. Sadly, I soon realized that with my poor vision, that would never happen.

Anyway, today, it hasn't changed much, I still love sci-fi shows and movies, I love watching the space launches, and even got to see the space shuttle piggy backed on the 747 transport plane a few years back when it landed in Salt Lake. My heart was dropped when I saw the Columbia break up on re-entry in 2003. So when I woke up and saw this on the news, it makes me worried...

Embedded video from CNN Video


I grew up imagining, and even still today, hope that there is life somewhere out there, and that our human race will find a future in space. So when the Government said that they are cutting back and beginning to retire the space program, it starts to shatter some kids, and even adults, dreams. I hope that the future holds something for our children to aspire to. Our parents got to see the first men in space, and even the first moon landing. We've gone much farther, but we're still tethered here on earth. I will continue to look to the stars, even when our government doesn't.

P.S. I just found this great site wechoosethemoon.org that chronicles in real time the Apollo 11 moon landing mission. Its the 40th anniversary, and we should all remember that great moment. Especially those of us that weren't around.

No comments:

Post a Comment