Pages

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Working for your meals

So I've had a pretty major project that I've been working on and have also put off since we bought our house in Sept. '08. The previous owners had a vegitable garden in the back yard. They worked it all right into the ground. I had hoped to keep it up and start my own above ground garden plots. But one thing after another, March turned to May, turned to July, turned to September. It wasn't gona happen in 09.

I wasn't going to let that happen again. This year, with the mild winter we got, I was able to get an early jump on the garden. In late February, early March, I cleared out te weeds and rented a tiller. I didn't want to have to work in what may or may not be good, workable soil. I also REALLY REALLY didn't want to have to deal with the weeds. That why I wanted the above ground boxes.


(before the tilling)


(after the tilling)


(my dad helping construct the boxes)

Once I was able to till and flaten the soil, we laid down some weed guard, spiked it all down, and placed the boxes in their appropriet spots.

Today I spent all afternoon working the mix for the boxes. They are finally ready for the plants. I have started a few plants from seeds and they are almost ready for transplanting. But I'm going to have to take a trip to the nursery to get other starts.




(ready for plants)

What am I planting you ask? Tomatos, tomatillos, zuchini, cucumber, melons, corn, asparigus, onions, garlic, carrots, letuce, spinach, and I think that's it. I'll post a picture of my planting layout so that you can get an idea of what it's going to look like.

Want to learn more? Check out Square Foot Gardening for more info. If we all grew some of our own vegitable, the world would be a better place and world hunger would start to decrease!

-- Post From My iPhone

Location:E Lanebrook Ln,Salt Lake City,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment